Photographer's Note

ROCKEFELLER CENTER:
Between the Streets 48 and 51, and the 5th and 6th Avenues, is located the Rockefeller Center, the commercial complex and of bigger entertainment of The United States.
The first building in be constructing was the RCA Building for the Radio Corporation of America designed by Raymond Hood. With 256 meters of height and 70 floors, it is the highest of the complex and it served as architectural base for the design of the rest of the buildings. For 10 years there were completed 14 buildings of the initial project to the purest style Art Dco. On November 1, 1939, there is inaugurated the Radio City to which one year later would re-baptize him as Rockefeller Center.
Between the year 1959 and 1973, 5 more buildings joined the complex along 6 Avenue. In whole, 19 buildings that shelter offices, shops, restaurants, bars, theatres and studies of television form the Rockefeller Center. The whole complex is connected between itself of underground form by tunnels from those that they accede also to the lines of subway.
The RCA Building happened to call in 1988 GE Building or 30 Rockefeller Center and in it there stay the offices of the General Electric and of the NBC (Native Broadcasting Company). On the entry of the building one finds sculpted the relief Wisdom of the sculptor Lee Lawrie, an allegory to the Wisdom and the Knowledge. The decoration of the interior was realized by the artists Frank Brangwyn, Diego Rivera y Josep Maria Sert, who substituted Rivera known by his ideal communists, on having included unexpectedly in his painting Lenin's portrait. The 65th floor shelters one of the most famous restaurants of New York, the Rainbow Room from which a splendid sight of the city is spied. To the feet of the building there is placed every year, in Christmas epochs, the famous tree of Christmas that turns out to be the biggest of The United States.
The principal entry to the complex from the Fifth Avenue gives place to an agreeable landscaped walk known as Channel Gardens. This name comes to remember the English Channel, since the walk is flanked by two buildings: the English British Empire Building and the French The Maison Franaise. Fountains and sculptures of fish done in bronze by the sculptor Rene Chambellan decorate the gardens. Channel Gardens ends in the Lower Plaza presided by the sculpture Prometeo de Paul Manship. This square, former entry to the shops of luxury that years behind were populating the complex, is in use as terrace of restaurant in summer, and as track of ice for skating in winter.

andante, CRATEOS has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2000
Points: 6
Discussions
Additional Photos by Josep Marin (josepmarin) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 7604 W: 190 N: 16197] (59385)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH