Photographer's Note

Turk mutfaginin hircin oglani, o yalniz aksamlarin vazgecilmez bok dolu ekmek arasi Kokorec'i, Akcay'da bir ustamiz hazirlarken.

English-
Kokorec is probably the most delicious food that you would not want to know the ingredients of. Well, I will confess the secret. It is made out of lamb intestines. Before you become disgusted by this news, I will assure you that 99% of the Kokorec sandwiches you eat, the intestines will be rigorously cleaned before hand. The other 1%, I feel sorry for you if you're that unlucky!

Anyways, the intestine is rolled into a skewer like a spool of wool until the roll has some thickness (around 15-20cm diameter). This roll is then placed horizontally on top of a bed of coal and grilled slowly. When the Chef de Cuisine deems that the intestines are cooked, he will cut a slice and chop it finely until it resembles ground beef. This is then mixed with some tasty spices such as cumin, red pepper, oregano and of course salt. This mixture is then filled into a half a loaf of bread only to be served to the hungry clientele.

crhieatt, LamCam has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2379
Points: 8
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Erdem Varol (evarol) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Silver Note Writer [C: 110 W: 10 N: 43] (196)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH