Photographer's Note

The Plaza de San Martn, next to the currently called Plaza de Medina del Campo, is one of the most beautiful and representative corners of Segovia. It takes its name from the emblematic church of San Martn and is next to the great artery of Segovia which is Calle Real (currently this section of Calle Real has the name Calle Juan Bravo). The truth is that this area is popularly known as 'the Plaza de las Sirenas'.

Back on Calle Real, the Plaza de Medina del Campo offers an interesting architectural ensemble reminiscent of some Italian squares. The 15th century House, an old palace of the Tordesillas, an example of an urban noble residence. Plateresque gallery incorporated in the 16th century.

The Torren de Lozoya, from the 14th and 16th centuries. Strong house renovated by Francisco de Eraso, secretary of King Felipe II, in the middle of the 16th century. Renaissance courtyard. Rear garden with arcaded gallery. Caja Segovia exhibition halls.

The Casa de Solier and the Casa de Bornos, are two Renaissance mansions from the 16th century, both crowned by a gallery destined to drying cloths, testimony to the flourishing textile industry that the city had for centuries. In front of these facades, an artistic fountain is the work of the sculptor Francisco Bellver (1851).

Among elegant buildings, the Romanesque Church of San Martn, from the 12th century, stands out. Its structure has three naves and a sanctuary with three apses. The central one was replaced by the current baroque one, which houses an excellent altarpiece from the same period. It has three atriums, with interesting iconography on its capitals. On the west faade there is a wide doorway, from the 13th century, with four large sculptures -the four Major Prophets- on its jambs. The tower, covered by a Baroque spire, was rebuilt in brick in the 14th century. Inside, the chapel and sepulcher of the Herrera family and numerous artistic works of painting and sculpture.

A statue of the commoner Juan Bravo by the sculptor Aniceto Marinas on the first flight of the staircase and two neoclassical sphinxes with the head and bust of a woman and the body of a lioness - popularly known as Las Sirenas - complete the diverse aesthetic of the square.

Returning to Calle Real, on the right we find the Royal Prison or Old Prison, today a public library. It was used as a prison until 1933 and the playwright Lope de Vega was imprisoned in his cells in 1577.

-----------------------------------------------------

La plaza de San Martn, junto a la llamada en la actualidad Plaza de Medina del Campo, es uno de los rincones ms bonitos y representativos de Segovia. Toma su nombre de la emblemtica iglesia de San Martn y est junto a la gran arteria de Segovia que es la calle Real (actualmente dicho tramo de la calle Real posee el nombre de calle Juan Bravo). Lo cierto es que esta zona es conocida popularmente como 'la plaza de las Sirenas'.

De vuelta a la Calle Real, la Plaza de Medina del Campo ofrece un interesante conjunto arquitectnico que recuerda a algunas plazas italianas. La Casa del siglo XV, antiguo palacio de los Tordesillas ejemplo de residencia nobiliaria urbana. Galera plateresca incorporada en el siglo XVI.

El Torren de Lozoya, de los siglos XIV y XVI. Casa fuerte reformada por Francisco de Eraso, secretario del Rey Felipe II, a mediados del siglo XVI. Patio renacentista. Jardn posterior con galera porticada. Salas de exposiciones de Caja Segovia.

La Casa de Solier y la Casa de Bornos, son dos casonas renacentistas del siglo XVI, ambas coronadas por una galera destinada a secadero de paos, testimonio de la floreciente industria textil con la que cont la ciudad durante siglos. Frente a estas fachadas, una artstica fuente obra del escultor Francisco Bellver (1851).

Entre elegantes edificios, destaca la Iglesia romnica de San Martn, del siglo XII. Su estructura es de tres naves y cabecera con tres bsides. El central fue sustituido por el actual, barroco, y que alberga en el interior un excelente retablo del mismo perodo. Tiene tres atrios, con interesante iconografa en sus capiteles. En la fachada oeste abre una amplia portada, del siglo XIII, con cuatro grandes esculturas-los cuatro Profetas Mayores-en sus jambas. La torre, cubierta por chapitel barroco, fue reconstruida en ladrillo en el siglo XIV. En su interior, la capilla y sepulcro de los Herrera y numerosas obras artsticas de pintura y escultura.

Una estatua del comunero Juan Bravo obra del escultor Aniceto Marinas en el primer tramo de la escalinata y dos esfinges neoclsicas con cabeza y busto de mujer y cuerpo de leona - conocidas popularmente como Las Sirenas - completan la variopinta esttica de la plaza.

De regreso a la Calle Real encontramos a la derecha la crcel Real o crcel Vieja, hoy biblioteca pblica. Fue utilizada como prisin hasta 1933 y en sus celdas estuvo encarcelado el dramaturgo Lope de Vega en 1577.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8874 W: 5 N: 15994] (71330)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2019-08-08
  • Exposure: f/0.1, 30
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2021-11-20 11:11
Viewed: 0
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8874 W: 5 N: 15994] (71330)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH