Photographer's Note

Built between the years 1564 and 1570, by Pedro de Cotera (surveyor of the Faade of the University), it is accessed through a lattice passage from the Patio de Filsofos o Continuos.

It was originally located in the current Plaza de San Diego, in front of the Colegio Mayor de San Ildefonso, until it had to be demolished due to the dilapidation of its state and it was transferred to its current location.

It owes its most recent name to the fact that the classrooms of the Trilingual School, built at the end of the 16th century, were so called because they welcomed students from Latin, Greek and Hebrew. Previous to it is the Auditorium, which has its entrance through this patio.

This second construction is preserved almost in its entirety except for the balustrade that was on the cornice and of which only the corner pyramids remain. The Count of Quinto, to which it belonged, took it in 1850 to use it in the reforms of his Palace in Madrid, which, years later, would burn in a riot.

It is made up of two bodies: The lower gallery consists of 36 columns, with Ionic capitals and Tuscan stems, in which carpal arches with medallions are raised on the spandrels.

The upper body contains windows framed between Ionian and Corinthian pilasters alternately on each side. The corner and center windows are blinded so as not to produce a linearity that would displace the perspective.

In the center we find the beautiful curbstone of the well, also by Pedro de la Cotera, with scallops in relief.

Along with some restored plasterwork, is the main door of the Auditorium.

--------------------------------------------------

Construido entre los aos 1564 y 1570, por Pedro de Cotera (aparejador de la Fachada de la Universidad), se accede a l, a travs de un pasadizo enrejado, desde el Patio de Filsofos o Continuos.

Primitivamente estaba enclavado en la actual Plaza de San Diego, frente al Colegio Mayor de San Ildefonso, hasta que hubo de ser demolido por lo ruinoso de su estado y fue trasladado a su ubicacin actual.

Debe su ms reciente nombre a que a sus crujas daban las aulas del Colegio Trilinge, construido a finales del siglo XVI, as llamado por acoger a estudiantes de latn, griego y hebreo. Anterior a l es el Paraninfo, que por este patio tiene su entrada.

Esta segunda construccin se conserva casi en su totalidad excepto la balaustrada que estaba sobre la cornisa y de la que slo permanecen las pirmides de las esquinas. El Conde de Quinto, al que perteneci, se la llev en 1850 para utilizarla en las reformas de su Palacio en Madrid que, aos ms tarde, ardera en un motn.

Est formado por dos cuerpos: La galera inferior consta de 36 columnas, de capiteles jnicos y fustes toscanos, en las que se levantan arcos carpaneles con medallones en las enjutas.

El cuerpo superior contiene ventanales enmarcados entre pilastras jnicas y corintias alternativamente en cada lado. Las ventanas de las esquinas y las centrales estn cegadas para no producir una linealidad que desplazara la perspectiva.

En el centro encontramos el hermoso brocal del pozo, obra tambin de Pedro de la Cotera, con veneras en relieve.

Junto a unas yeseras restauradas, se halla la puerta principal del Paraninfo.

ikeharel, ricardomattos, jhm, pajaran, holmertz, Fis2, tyro, tyro, papagolf21, PaulVDV has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 40
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8273 W: 5 N: 14905] (66332)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH