Photographer's Note

After the conquest of Alcal in 1118 by the archbishop of Toledo Bernardo de Sedirac, the town would begin a period of economic development and prosperity that raised the need to increase defensive measures.

In the thirteenth century began the construction of a first walled enclosure that a hundred years later would extend to integrate with the defensive system of the Archbishop's Palace. Thus, in the time of Archbishop Tenorio the wall had 22 towers and seven access doors to the Villa. These were those of Madrid, Santa Ana or Postigo, Vado, Fernn Falcn, Guadalajara, Judera, and Burgos.

In the mid-fifteenth century, the uncontrolled development of the extramural settlements made it necessary to build a second walled enclosure that extended its canvases to the east and south, forcing the location of some of the gates to change and building new ones.

This second enclosure would be practically destroyed during the nineteenth century, currently retaining only the canvas surrounding the Archbishop's Palace, the Madrid Gate, the Burgos Gate and the San Bernardo Arch.

The Puerta de Burgos is the oldest of the accesses of the medieval wall that has remained standing. It is a double-storey building, with openings of ogival arches and a staircase that communicates with the adarve. This door was closed in the 17th century when it was integrated into the walls of the Convent of San Bernardo. For this reason it was necessary to build a new step, the San Bernardo Arch, with a simple brick bill, which still serves that purpose today.

Regarding the Puerta de Madrid, the original was demolished in the 18th century and replaced by a completely new neoclassical style, whose composition follows the model of the arches of triumph then so in vogue.

----------------------------------------------

Tras la conquista de Alcal en el ao 1118 por al arzobispo de Toledo Bernardo de Sedirac, la localidad iniciara un periodo de desarrollo y prosperidad econmica que plante la necesidad de aumentar las medidas defensivas.

En el siglo XIII se inici la construccin de un primer recinto amurallado que cien aos despus se extendera hasta integrarse con el sistema defensivo del Palacio Arzobispal. As, en tiempos del arzobispo Tenorio la muralla contaba con 22 torreones y siete puertas de acceso a la Villa. Estas eran la de Madrid, la de Santa Ana o del Postigo, la del Vado, la de Fernn Falcn, la de Guadalajara, la de la Judera, y la de Burgos.

A mediados del siglo XV, el desarrollo descontrolado de los asentamientos extramuros hizo necesaria la construccin de un segundo recinto amurallado que extenda sus lienzos hacia el este y el sur, lo que oblig a variar el emplazamiento de algunas de las puertas y construir otras nuevas.

Este segundo recinto sera prcticamente destruido durante el siglo XIX, conservndose en la actualidad solamente el lienzo que rodea al Palacio Arzobispal, la Puerta de Madrid, la Puerta de Burgos y el Arco de San Bernardo.

La Puerta de Burgos es el ms antiguo de los accesos de la muralla medieval que ha permanecido en pie. Es una edificacin de doble planta, con vanos de arcos ojivales y una escalera que comunica con el adarve. Esta puerta fue cerrada en el siglo XVII al quedar integrada en los muros del Convento de San Bernardo. Por este motivo fue preciso construir un nuevo paso, el Arco de San Bernardo, de sencilla factura de ladrillo, que todava hoy cumple esa funcin.

Respecto a la Puerta de Madrid, la original fue derribada en el siglo XVIII y reemplazada por una totalmente nueva de estilo neoclsico, cuya composicin sigue el modelo de los arcos del triunfo entonces tan en boga.

ikeharel, holmertz, COSTANTINO, johnjmoe, Fis2, papagolf21, PaulVDV, jhm, ChrisJ, PiotrF has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 40
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8217 W: 5 N: 14775] (65726)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH