Photographer's Note

The high tower is the remains of the church of Santa Maria, which saw Miguel de Cervantes baptized and which, like other monuments in Alcal, was destroyed in a bombing during the Civil War, now converted into a 360 viewpoint.
Nice views of Alcal, there are about 110 stairs and access is free. Nice views.

Chapel of the Oidor. It currently hosts the Central Tourism Office of the city.
Located at the bottom of the Plaza de Cervantes we can see the remains of the apse of what was the old parish of Santa Mara la Mayor, destroyed by a fire in July 1936, and its isolated tower, now recovered as a viewpoint, from where you can see excellent views of the square, the city and the surrounding hills. After that of San Justo, that of Santa Mara was the most important parish in Alcal. Erected in the mid-thirteenth century in what is now the East Front of the Plaza de San Diego, in 1543 it moves to what was the church of San Juan Bautista or "de los Caballeros" which is almost completely demolished in the middle from the following century to build a new church in a transition style from Gothic to Renaissance and that the lack of resources prevented it from being built.

Despite the radical transformation, some of its attached chapels were preserved, which are now occupied by the Tourist Office and the exhibition center, where the visitor will find in the so-called chapel of Cristo de la Luz or Antezana (baroque , 17th century) interesting temporary exhibitions. The main interest is focused on the Chapel of the Oidor, named for the fact that it was founded by the "oidor" of King Juan II of Castile, Don Pedro Daz de Toledo, at the beginning of the 15th century to bury his family. To highlight the plasterwork of the access arch, very cant, with Gothic decoration in the intrados. The fence is Renaissance, from the 16th century.

On the occasion of its restoration, the battery where Miguel de Cervantes received the baptismal waters on October 9, 1547 was moved to this place in 1905. A facsimile copy of the baptismal book of the parish of Santa Mara, which contains the departure of Miguel de Cervantes, as well as reproductions of those of four of his brothers, also baptized in this parish (Andrs, Andrea, Luisa and Rodrigo).

---------------------------------------------------

La alta torre son los restos de la iglesia de Santa Maria, que vio bautizar a Miguel de Cervantes y que como otros monumentos de Alcal fue destruida en un bombardeo durante la Guerra Civil, actualmente convertida en un mirador 360.
Bonitas vistas de Alcal, son unas 110 escaleras y el acceso es gratuito. Bonitas vistas.

Capilla del Oidor. Actualmente acoge la Oficina Central de Turismo de la ciudad.
Ubicada al fondo de la plaza de Cervantes podemos ver los restos del bside de lo que fue la antigua parroquia de Santa Mara la Mayor, destruida por un incendio en julio de 1936, y su aislada torre, hoy recuperada como mirador, desde donde se aprecian unas excelentes vistas de la plaza, de la ciudad y de los cerros de su entorno. Despus de la de San Justo, la de Santa Mara era la parroquia ms importante de Alcal. Erigida a mediados del siglos XIII en lo que hoy es el frente Este de la Plaza de San Diego, en 1543 se traslada a lo que era la iglesia de San Juan Bautista o de los Caballeros que es derribada en su prctica totalidad a mediados del siglo siguiente para construir una nueva iglesia en un estilo de transicin del gtico al renacimiento y que la falta de recursos impidi que se llegara a construir.

Pese a lo radical de la transformacin, se conservaron algunas de sus capillas anejas, que son las que hoy ocupa la Oficina de Turismo y el centro de exposiciones, donde el visitante encontrar en la denominada capilla del Cristo de la Luz o de Antezana (barroca, s. XVII) interesantes exposiciones temporales. El mayor inters se centra en la Capilla del Oidor, llamada as por que fue fundada por el oidor del rey Juan II de Castilla, Don Pedro Daz de Toledo, a comienzos del siglo XV para enterramiento de su familia. A resaltar la yesera del arco de acceso, muy peraltado, con decoracin gtica en el intrads. La reja es renacentista, del siglo XVI.

Con motivo de su restauracin se traslad en 1905 a este lugar la pila donde recibi las aguas bautismales Miguel de Cervantes el 9 de octubre de 1547. Se expone en la capilla una copia facsimil del libro de bautismos de la parroquia de Santa Mara, que contiene la partida de Miguel de Cervantes, as como reproducciones de las de cuatro de sus hermanos, igualmente bautizados en esta parroquia (Andrs, Andrea, Luisa y Rodrigo).

Fis2, macjake, jhm has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8273 W: 5 N: 14905] (66332)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2012-03-27
  • Categories:
  • Camera: Panasonic DMC TZ10
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2020-03-18 12:31
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8273 W: 5 N: 14905] (66332)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH