Photographer's Note

The Cathedral of the Ascension of the Lord, Orthodox is the largest religious building in Trgu Mureș, the cathedral is dedicated to the "Ascension of the Lord". The cathedral was built in the center of the city (now the Plaza de las Rosas) between 1925 and 1934 on the initiative of Archpriest Stefan Rusu, on the site of Pter Bodor's Singing Fountain.

The first stone was laid on May 10, 1925. Among the participants in the event were the Minister of Cults, Alexandru Lapedatu, Bishop Nicolae Ivan and Octavian Goga as ministers. The consecration of the cathedral took place on December 2, 1934, being also a symbol that signifies the entry of the Romanian armies into the municipality of Trgu Mureș in 1918.

The church was built according to the plans of the architect Victor Vlad of the Polytechnic of Timișoara, in the shape of a Greek cross, with equal arms. The construction of the iconostasis was carried out in 1934 by Traian Bobletec de Nazna and painted by the painter Virgil Simonescu de Lugoj.

Due to lack of funds, the painting was completed between 1970 and 1986.

The narthex walls feature images of the 17th century Transylvanian metropolitan saints, Ilie Iorest and Sava Brancovici, framed by 12 medallions containing the images of the most important Transylvanian Orthodox churches.

The central dome has a stained glass window that represents Christ blessing.

The altar has an impressive 12.30 m high mosaic apse that represents the Mother of God with the Child.

The cathedral bells were processed in Timisoara.

The total cost of the building was estimated at 20 million lei in the interwar period.

------------------------------------------------

La Catedral de la Ascensin del Seor, ortodoxa es el edificio religioso ms grande de Trgu Mureș , la catedral est dedicada a la "Ascensin del Seor". La catedral fue construida en el centro de la ciudad (ahora la Plaza de las Rosas ) entre 1925 y 1934 por iniciativa del Arcipreste Stefan Rusu , en el sitio de la Fuente Cantante de Pter Bodor.

La primera piedra se coloc el 10 de mayo de 1925 . Entre los participantes en el evento se encontraban el Ministro de Cultos, Alexandru Lapedatu , el obispo Nicolae Ivan y Octavian Goga como ministros. La consagracin de la catedral tuvo lugar el 2 de diciembre de 1934 , siendo tambin un smbolo que significa la entrada de los ejrcitos rumanos en el municipio de Trgu Mureș en 1918 .

La iglesia fue construida segn los planos del arquitecto Victor Vlad del Politcnico de Timișoara , en forma de cruz griega, con brazos iguales. La construccin del iconostasio fue realizada en 1934 por Traian Bobletec de Nazna y pintado por el pintor Virgil Simonescu de Lugoj .

Debido a la falta de fondos, la pintura se complet entre 1970 y 1986 .

Las paredes del nrtex presentan imgenes de los santos metropolitanos de Transilvania del siglo XVII , Ilie Iorest y Sava Brancovici , enmarcadas por 12 medallones que contienen las imgenes de las iglesias ortodoxas ms importantes de Transilvania .

La cpula central tiene una vidriera que representa a Cristo bendiciendo.

El altar tiene un bside de mosaico impresionante de 12,30 m de altura que representa a la Madre de Dios con el Nio .

Las campanas de la catedral se procesaron en Timisoara.

El costo total del edificio se estim en 20 millones de lei en el perodo de entreguerras.


Fis2, PaulVDV, holmertz, COSTANTINO, ChrisJ, macjake, fotka has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9046 W: 5 N: 16295] (72592)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2019-06-01
  • Exposure: 30
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2021-07-03 11:39
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9046 W: 5 N: 16295] (72592)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH