Photographer's Note

The Palcio dos Condes da Guarda (Palace of the Counts of the Guard) is located in Cascais, Lisbon District, Portugal. The building now functions both as the headquarters of the Municipality of Cascais and, on the ground floor, as a museum that explains the history of the town.

The two-storey building dates back to the 18th century. It has since been enlarged by work carried out in the 20th century, particularly in 1918 when three separate buildings were joined together.

The most distinctive feature of the building is the external use of decorative tiles of saints, specifically Saint Sebastian, Saint Anthony, Saint Martial, Saint Matthew, Mark the Evangelist, Saint Jerome, Luke the Evangelist and Saint John. These are considered to be the largest collection of such tiles ever applied to the facades of a single property. The oldest are believed to have been produced at the Real Fbrica de Loua do Rato in 1790. This was a ceramic factory in Lisbon that was founded by the Marquis of Pombal and, between 1767 and 1835, pioneered the manufacture of modern pottery, particularly tableware, in Portugal.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 733
Points: 40
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29874] (130967)
View More Pictures