Photographer's Note

March 24, 2007
Nantes 440109 44000
Loire-Atlantique Pays-de-la-Loire
47.217 -1.55 7 m

Sainte-Croix church

An image

At the 11th century, the church is the vault of the castle of Bouffay of Conan-the-Lay.
About 1106, the vault is given to the monks of the abbey of Marmoutiers-the-turns.
In 1138, the church becomes parochial.
It is in 1665 that one decides to destroy the church because of his smallness. Lastly, under the Empire second the church takes his final aspect.
It is in 1860 that the architect Henri DRIOLLET surmounts the church Ste Croix of the belfry of the tower of Bouffay, with its curious lantern and its allegorical round of angels sounding of the trumpet. This last capped the Tower of Bouffay, which rose until 1848 with the north-western angle of the place of the same name, near the church. It includes there the bell (4.5T) most important of Nantes which will be unfortunately molten in 1663 and the chime destroys in 1848. In this sanctuary, one venerates Our-injury of Good Help, very called upon if one judges some by the many ex-votos which paper the walls. The stalls date from the XVIIIe century. Jean-Baptist Carrier, Coventionnel responsible for the drownings of Nantes, held of the speeches top of the pulpit. The parochial register carries at the date of February 8, 1828 the transcription of the birth certificate of Jules Verne.

snunney, Hellas, ls7902, pierrefonds, feather, Charo, Budapestman, Gerrit has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 4929
Points: 36
  • PS (1)
    by feather, last updated 2007-08-31 08:25
Additional Photos by joel berthonneau (jlbrthnn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7168 W: 0 N: 22964] (76043)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
View More Pictures