Photographer's Note

At the beginning of the 14th century, the Clermont family, who were descendants of the Walcourts, built the first fortress on the site of the Chteau de Harz. Later, the Seigneurie was claimed by the powerful La Marck family, heirs of the Walcourt-Rocheforts.
Major work was carried out at the castle in the 17th century. In 1631, Ernestine de Lynden married Count Ernest de Suys. Their combined coat of arms, dated 1647, can still be seen on the keystone of the porch in the lower courtyard. Count de Suys made changes to the property in the manner of the time, adding the large corner tower and the wings that extend as far as the main body of the house. An extremely beautiful gallery was built on to the western faade. In the following century their heirs, the Eynattens, led the life of the landed gentry and passed Harz on to the Rahier family, who converted the adjoining buildings. At the beginning of the 20th century, at the request of Edgard de Potter, the castle underwent major restoration works, while retaining its appearance as the residence of a provincial nobleman.
The Chteau de Harz was listed in 1965 by the Royal Commission of Monuments and Sites and was acquired by the Province of Lige in 1973.

lilimih33, pierrefonds, lukas, jhm has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 7226
Points: 47
Additional Photos by Hoa Cuong Hua (huahoa) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 327 W: 2 N: 730] (3698)
View More Pictures