Photographer's Note

Pskov is situated at the junction of the Velikaya and the Pskova rivers. The first reference to Pskov in the state chronicles dated 903 and linked to the marriage of Kievan Prince Igor and Pskovian girl Olga who became the Grand Princess of Kiev, wise ruler and the first of the Russians who adopted Christianity.

The first settlements appeared on the high steep promontory in IV-V centuries, gradually developing turned by IX-X centuries into a fort, which stood at the head of the whole Pskov land. With the name of the Grand Princess Olga connected the building of the first church in Pskov wooden Trinity Cathedral, the first in Russ Cathedral of Holy Trinity, which was the symbol of Pskov and the Pskov land. In the place Budnik near Pskov was born prince Vladimir The Red Sun the Baptist of Russ. During 50 years since 1515 to 1565 there were built about 40 churches in the town, including the following: the church of St. Nikolay on the Usokha, the church of the Resurrection from Stadishche, the church of St. Nikolay near the stone wall. The masters of Pskov were invited to Moscow. Pskov saved the Russian land from the defeat during the Livonian War, standing a half-year siege of Swedish troops headed by Gustav II Adolf.

In spite of all misfortune the city, according to the words of foreigners was beautiful and famous town in Moscovia. The golden age of stone civil architecture in Pskov was in the XVII century. The Pogankin House, the house of Menshikovs, Yamskoys, Postnikovs are the examples of this period. In 1708-1709 Russia was divided into 9 provinces. In 1711 Pskov was included in the large St.-Petersburg province, in 1772 in the Belarus province, in 1777 was established namestnichestvo, which later, in 1796 became Pskov province. During the February revolution on March 1917 the last Russian tsar Nicholas II abdicated in Pskov. In February 1918, on the Pskov land in the battles with troops of Kaiser the Red Army was born. Innumerable disasters were brought to the Pskov land by the Great Patriotic War. During three years, since 9 July 1941 to 23 July 1944, Pskov was under the occupation of fascist troops. After the liberation in almost destroyed town were started the restoration work. There was done everything in order to preserve peculiarities of old town. Pskovites keep memory and traditions of their land. To the honor of the victory over the Teutonic Knights at the Battle on the Ice on the Sokolya Hill was built a monument to Russian warriors and to Grand Prince Alexandr Nevsky.

asajernigan has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Oleg Kuznetsov (osub) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 28 W: 0 N: 264] (1663)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2005-06-18
  • Categories:
  • Camera: Minolta Dimage 7Hi
  • Exposure: f/8, 1/500
  • More Photo Info: view
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2007-04-19 8:42
Viewed: 2373
Points: 2
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Oleg Kuznetsov (osub) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 28 W: 0 N: 264] (1663)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH