Photographer's Note

According to written sources, the first masonry church on the island, a three-naved Romanesque basilica, was consecrated by the Aquilean patriarch Pellegrino in 1142. In the 15th century, it was rebuilt in the Gothic style: a new presbytery, a freestanding bell tower and the main altar were built. The renovated single-nave church was consecrated in 1465 by the first bishop of Ljubljana, count iga Lamberg. In 1509 it was so damaged by an earthquake that it required thorough renovation, and this was carried out in the Baroque style. Only the frescoes in the presbytery and a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary, which probably adorned the main altar, are preserved from the previous Gothic church.

CapturedByGrace, chpp has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2090
Points: 14
  • None
Additional Photos by Grzegorz Oczkowicz (GREGG) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 558 W: 117 N: 1113] (7888)
  • Austur-Hunavatnssysla photo
  • Borgarfjardharsysla photo
  • Snaefellsnessysla photo
View More Pictures