Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2014-10-31 2:36

Hello Bev,

Ah, ha, so you agree with me now! Yes, I see that you uploaded this picture at 595 pixels in width and, at that resolution, it looks beautifully clear and sharp. But here, on "new" TE, it's been enlarged to 800 pixels wide and, quite honestly, it has lost all that sharpness and "bite" completely. Oh, I do hope that they manage to get this problem fixed very soon. I and others have certainly posted messages to the administrators on the forum so we'll wait and see. In the meantime, I guess, the answer is either to post pictures bigger than 800 pixels in width ot else just look at "beta" TE all the time.

Anyway, those technical issues (which are not your fault) aside, this is a beautiful photograph with lovely light, colours and sharpness and glorious reflections of the boats and houses in the calm water. A very fine composition and an interesting note too.

Lovely!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM
TE Expert

Talking To tyro: Thanks

Thanks, John.
This photograph is definitely degraded by enlargement.
I usually look on Beta, now, but the trouble is, many photographs are so large, it is impossible to appreciate them. Then I find myself swapping between the two!
Is there an easy answer?

Have a lovely w/e,
Bev
Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 AM
TE Expert

Default Alpha and Beta..........

Hi Bev,

Sorry, but I can't think of an answer at the moment! But I do exactly the same as you - I "switch" between the "new" version of TE and the old "beta" version. It is, as you say, a bit tiresome and the main trouble is that some people upload pictures at enormous sizes - often as big as 3500 or 4000 pixels wide - and it's impossible to see them properly on "beta" because they are so huge. What I sometimes do is to look at a picture on the "normal" site, then right-click on it, go to "properties" and from that box copy the "url" of the picture and paste it into a new tab or window - that can make it a bit easier to view but, again, it's a total pain.

My own preference at the moment is to try to upload pictures at about 1200 pixels in width. That way they can be viewed full size on "beta" (and they're not too big for the screen) and they also don't seem to degrade that much when "shrunk" to 800 pixels on "new" TE.

Hopefully the administrators will manage to do something about this pretty soon. I've never (as far as I can remember) known TE actually to enlarge pictures before - this is something entirely new and certainly not very helpful. Trouble is, this site has now become so commercial that I feel they are probably more interested in appealing to advertisers than they are to photographers. But such is the way of the World these days. Bah, Humbug.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM
TE Expert

Unhappy Large Photographs

Hi John, thanks for the info.
My reason for not posting larger photographs is that I have seen my photographs used by others. If the shots are bigger, presumably they will be able to use them more commercially.

Best wishes,
Bev
Old 10-31-2014, 10:44 AM
TE Expert

Default Stealing photographs...........

Hi Bev,

Yes, you certainly have a point there! Do you have any evidence of people stealing your shots? How do you find out that sort of thing? Just by "Googling" images?

I can't imagine that many people would want to steal my shots and in many ways I just think, "Good luck to them.". But, I guess, if some miserable sod is stealing my pictures and making money out of it for themselves, I'd be a bit cross. Do you think much of that sort of thing actually goes on?

Best Wishes,

John.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM
TE Expert

Unhappy Evidence

I recently came across a YouTube video of our area.
There were two of my shots included in the many on show.

I suppose the guy wasn't making money from it but he had used my photographs without my permission!

Kind regards,
Bev