Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
TE Newbie

Default TE is imtimidating

I mean this in a positive sense. When I first came across TE I was amazed at the quality of the images. IMHO the images presented here are some of the very best I have seen anywhere. While I think I am an above average photographer (perhaps a self-delusion) I had a difficult time deciding to post my first image to TE. And while that has been well receieved, it was my best shot and I still find myself reluctant to post the next image.

I find it a challenge and I must really think about the quality of the image and the emotion I want to present. Some pictures are just pretty pictures (at best) and others strive to touch an emotion. I think the emotion that is mostly touched here is awe but there are some that also reach more deeply.

I'm not sure what I'll post next, but I am sure I will give it a lot of thought. Bravo TE.

My first image, Le Landeron panorama
Regards
Charlie
Old 10-09-2007, 08:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: TE is imtimidating

hi charlie,
don't think too much, jump right in! :)

it's not as intimidating as it seems and maybe if you get really lucky some will tell you things you won't like to hear and that - will be ok (... even if not a very pleasant experience for the first time, but if you truly like photography - you'll get over it in no time and you'll start challenging yourself :).

others of course, will tell you nice things and that - will be just as fine - in time you'll find your own place around here; but in the meantime - don't forget to have fun!

so welcome to TE!

dora
Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
TE Newbie

Just post the shots you like .. some will get well received and some will disappear with out trace .. be true to yourself .I personally don't give a hoot for smileys .I much prefer one honest critique to a dozen smileys
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Charlie,

I think its nice to see people who care about what they are posting.. I can see why you like the photograph you decided to post and why it was received positively by other members of the community.

The others are right - make the most of the exchanges you can get from this site - there are plenty of people to give you their opinions. In time, you will learn who's advice is helping you to develop your style/ideas. Do not feel intimidated by the pictures you see here - its difficult at first, as you probably do not have a style of your own and everything you see looks so new. However, in time, you will probably begin to develop your own signature, which others can learn from. The best bit of advice I received when I joined, was to look at a picture and discuss/critique on the factors you don't like.. of course, in time, you will also learn who is able to accept your criticisms as constructive feedback. You can learn just as much from looking at other people's photographs.. alternatively, there are some extremely observant members here, whose critiques you can read and gain a tremendous amount of knowledge from..

I just read some of your critiques - I think you'll be fine ;)

take care, Kaj
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
TE Senior Member

Hello Charlie,

welcome to T.E. Not to much thinking, just post what you find for yourself is a good photo. If I take a look at the comments on your first one, I think people like it.
And beware of the point-hunters, Charlie. These are people who will give you good comments, even on a bad shot, just in the hope you will give them also "points". Difficult for a newcomer to know these people, my eyes went open after more than a year... When someone gives comment, feel free to go to their critics to other people and find out what kind of shots they give good comments...

have a great time on T.E.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 AM
TE Senior Member

Default what you like

Charlie,
I agree with Micheal. Just do what you feel like you want to do with photography. Don't be afraid to speak up if you want honest critiques.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 AM
TE Expert

A warm welcome to Trekearth, Charlie.
Listen, for months before I actually joined TE, I lurked... I gawked at extraordinary images by Claude Renaud, Luko, Maciej, Simon Kolton. I would almost physical tremble at the "thought" of uploading in that crowd. But I did. And for whatever reasons people have been extremely kind and supportive and, well... it's been a life changing experience for me.
You'll be fine, man. Honest.
Francis
Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 AM
TE Junior Member

Yes, Charlie, you'll be fine. We all stand on the shoulders of giants...Trek Earther's are quite a supportive and helpful tribe and there will be plenty of things you can get inspired from.
Best thing is you get to see photographs from all around the world...people from all around the world....isn't that just awesome...!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Charlie, and welcome to TE. When I first joined I felt a little like you - fretting over what to post, being overawed by all the amazing shots on display. And I still haven't found a style I'm comfortable with. But post as often as you can - it's all part of the learning process. Best regards, Roberto
Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM
TE Newbie

concern over what to select for your next post is a GOOD THING !!!!!

on any given day hundreds of banal photos are uploaded everyday for god knows what reason!? when someone takes a crude snapshot of their lunch and decides "yay, that'll be my next post" -- then we'all got a problem here on TE.

when posting to TE members need to consider what it is they hope to gain in terms of accolades/critiques or what benefit their next post might have to the TE community. Yes, i know its about getting advice on how to improve - but when it comes to posting a photo of your lunch; what could be said? these people put ZERO thought into their photo therefore how much thought could i put into my critique!?

but you have the right idea and we need more people like you, keep it up. i have been checking out your galleries lately and am looking forward to your future posts. take your time though, dont get into the habit of thinking you need to upload everyday as that is the surest and fastest way to mediocrity.

steve