Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Emiel_Skyfreak 2007-05-30 19:14

Hi Nikos,

I've been browsing your gallery last half hour, I was looking for photo's from Paros, where I go this summer, and ofcourse encountered your photo's. I've encountered quite some of them earlier allready, even critiqued a few of them. But now I've spend some more time to seriously look what you have done there. Impressive and pretty work, almost every photo I like. This 1Ds MKII is a hell of a machine, in your hands and with the 16-35F2.8 IS, damn it gives such beautiful results. Top sharpness, lovely colours, saturation and contrast. Everything is so in order, technically perfect I guess!
This shot with the 15mm Fisheye is also nice, ofcourse a fish doesn't work for each subject, but this is a good one and it turned out very well.

This summer, when I step on this boat this summer, I will be halfway on my vacation. The last option, so it seems! We'll move on to Syros, when we take foot on this boat. We'll spend 9 days on Paros and ~7,5 on Syros (and ~2,5 in Athens)
If you have any tips or hints for me to visit on Paros or in Parikia/Naoussa, I'll be pleased to hear them.
Again, wonderful gallery from the Kyklades you've visited, congrats!

ps hope your still there on this site.
Greetings from Holland.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Emiel_Skyfreak: thanks

Emiel, thank you for your nice comments. I have been going to Paros for the last 4 years (this one I will not because my wife is expecting), and I visited Sysros in 1988 so a long time ago....

Paros is mostly a family island with some nice restaurants and bars. It is not the photographers paradise like Santorini and it is not wild like Mykonos. However it has beautiful beaches and a quaint little town called Naoussa. I would advice that you stay in Naoussa because it is more beautiful than Paroikia. You will need a method of transportation to go to the nice beaches (I prefer the golden beach - chrisi akti). Do not take the bus since it will be full of loud teenagers. Try renting a small car or motorcycle to tour the island. Early morning is excellent for pictures because the little town streets are empty and the light is excellent. Try to reserve a table at one of the ouzo restaurants around the fishing port. The food is pricey but excellent plus the atmoshere is really nice.

The way I remeber Syros is that its main town is like the countryside capital so it has nicer buildings but looks more official. I dod not remember a lot since it was many years ago. Try going to Santorini. You will need a ton of storage space for pictures because it is magical.

Have fun. I envy you. Next year I will be there too.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To Emiel_Skyfreak: thanks

I know Santorini is magical. I definitly want to go there once, or a few times, we've also been thinking to visit it for a day this year. Originally I liked to spend my whole holidays there, but it's a pretty expensive island including accomodation etcetera, so we planned something else for this year. And it will be on the schedule for next years. Maybe this year aswell, but then for a day, in a few years the whole vacation.
I'll need a lot of storage there, but I also want to be a good photographer by then.

I'm in the market for a tripod at the moment, will probably get a Manfrotto!
Don't know which one though.

In both Paros and Syros our accomodations are booked, we stay in Parikia on Paros. I've read about Naoussa and also Lefkes in the mountains, and we will definitly visit those towns! We'll probably rent a scooter, like we do every year. I think it will be good to see the island with that..what do you think?
We never take busses when we are on the Greek islands, but we are teenagers too (not loud though!)

I'll remember the ouzo restaurants, it sounds good, we got to try!

Thanks for your extensive reply on this!!

Emiel.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:53 AM
TE Junior Member

You are welcome!!! At 22 you are nothing like the 17 year olds that are packed in those buses :-)
Old 06-01-2007, 03:07 PM
TE Senior Member

We're kinda different 'kids' anyway :) ;) We're not busy..loud..we enjoy landscapes, nature, culture..

I think there are very few students or other young man/woman from here, Holland, that will make a small trip on the Greek islands. Most visit Crete nowadays (if they visit Greece), and party party party, drink a lot of alcohol, club every night..sleep with different boys/girls. Well, I don't want to place ourselves above them..although it might sound like that, but let's say..yeah we are different :) And enjoy every piece of it! I enjoy every mountain I see, rocks everywhere, sounds of insects around..the smell of thyme...jummm I'd love to be in Greece again!

Lucky me, the date is approaching, only 7 weeks I believe!