Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
TE Newbie

Default Abolish 'right clicks'

I am not sure if I'm the first person to raise this issue, but it's time the facility to save images right off the pages are prevented by disabling 'right clicks'. The bar on saving images would help maintain the sanctity of copyright and also help prevent abuse. Of course option could be given to the members if they want to opt for this facility.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Abolish 'right clicks'

As you say, this must be an option.
Let's make a petition : I sign for this idea !
Old 04-05-2007, 07:17 PM
TE Expert

The option should only be available to members who signed on and then only for picturesfor which the workshop facility is allowed.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
TE Junior Member

One of the great features of this site is the ability for a member to post-process another member's work through a 'Workshop'. Workshops are only possible because you can download images. So let's not go for a blanket ban - but if you are paranoid about your images being copied then maybe the option to disallow workshops could also disallow the right click option.

In reality though, you can't disable 'Print Screen' from a web page.

But let's look at this from a broader perspective. If you are concerned about images being copied from here, then you are effectively concerned about losing money because those pesky thieves won't pay you any royalties. So let's be generous here, and assume that our work is of such a high standard that we're losing maybe a few thousand dollars a year each in unpaid royalties. Or maybe even more? Looking at that in the cold hard light of economics, there are two responses - first of all, if you are expecting to be able to make that much money out of photography then you are probably in the wrong place, and if you aren't already a professional photographer then you are in the wrong business. Secondly, if it's purely a monetary issue, aren't there other areas of your life that you could easily make up a few thousand without worrying about the 'right click'?

Ron.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
TE Expert

Disabling right click will never stop anyone to copy a picture published here (or any other website for that matter). For the simple reason that for a picture to be display in a web browser (iexplore, firefox, opera, mozilla...), it first has to be download from the site. The file is then store in the browser's cache. It is then very easy to retrieve the pictures file in this cache. So disabling the right click may prevent the "computer illiterate" person to steal a copy of the picture but won't stop someone who has even a very basic computer knowledge.
Honestly, the only way to be sure to prevent someone to not steal your picture is to not post them on the web.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Hol, hol ! It's not at all for me a question of money. I don't care. Who on TE can prentend to make money with this site ? There are indeed some guys but they are very, very few. It's only in my point of view a question of intellectual/artistical property, that's all. Share it on TE is one thing, to be stoled by some unknown sites are another thing. Perhaps you would be glad to see one day a pictures ou yours on a site. Personnally, I'm not sure that I'd would be happy if I saw one of my pictures on a site. Because it's MY picture, taking with some of MY choices, during wonderful travels which are moments of MY life, post-processed with MY sensibility, etc.
After, you're right when you write that the workshop option is a good thing ; but it doesn't mean that a compromise cannot be found.
Olivier.
PS : There're indeed some ways to download pictures even if there's a protection system. But I'm not sure that everyone knows them. If it's impossible to have the perfection, we can have at least the dissuasion.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
TE Newbie

Theres no way disabiling right clicks would work against photo thieves, you cam just print screen and as the pictures posted are the same dpi as the monitor, the image is easily yours, everyone knows how to do this. I think the biggest problem is people not actually knowing that they are stealing photos by downloading them, people use pictures so much for personal use, when a company knowing abuses copyright thats a different issue.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 PM
TE Senior Member

And that's all that can/needs to be said.
With all respect about whatever we feel about the subject, the technique does not allow us to choose.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 PM
TE Expert

There're indeed some ways to download pictures even if there's a protection system. But I'm not sure that everyone knows them. If it's impossible to have the perfection, we can have at least the dissuasion.

You can be sure that all those who are out there to "steal" picture know exactly how to go around the dissuasion. I'm saying it again, if you don't want to have your picture copied and used by others then don't post them on the web.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:41 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you for your insights. While preventing unfair use of copyright materials might be tough to enforce, at the same time I feel slightly uncomfortable with the notion that copyright has to mean money. In reality respecting copyright is respecting creativity, individuality, talent and hard work. Monetary rewards or compensations or even loses come much later.