Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 AM
TE Newbie

Default How to resize images for TE- a primer for new TE users

Being relatively new to TE myself I found it difficult to locate one post which had a simple way to resize in Photoshop CS2 without driving yourself crazy or using a third party software. So I am posting in hope that this will be useful for others.

1. Be sure the image is flattened.
2. Go to Image>Image Size
3. Set Resample to Bicubic Sharpener (this greatly reduces any softness coming from reducing the image size- it was recommended by Adobe on their site)
4. Set the largest pixel dimension to 800. Note: this will likely NOT make your image 200kb or less.
5. Take note of your image size which should be displayed next to Pixel Dimensions:
6. Hit ok
7. Use unsharp mask if you feel that your image has gotten soft- since I switched over to Bicubic Sharpener I most often skip the extra sharpen.
8. Save the file as jpeg.
9. When the jpeg window pops up, you'll need to choose a compression level to make the file under 200kb. However the trick is that there is no way to tell what size the file will be when you save it. I am finding that for a post image sized file of 1M to 1.4M a compression of 9 is the largest I can get. This will give you a file between 160 and 190kb.

I hope this is helpful to other users and prevents you all from wasting time like I have done naively thinking I could use Image Size to make the file small enough and trying all manner of combinations to do so, none of which work. :) If anyone has any additional suggestions please chime in.

Happy resizing!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: How to resize images for TE- a primer for new TE users

Thanks for the idea of using the bicubic sharpener while resizing.

Now for a probably real dumb question, but how do you post photos?

Thanks, Allie
Old 02-19-2007, 11:51 AM
TE Newbie

Allie,

Welcome to TE! No worries- I had some problems navigating around the site at first as well. I'll put the steps in list form because I find that more helpful than a paragraph. :)

1. Look up at the top of the page- here you'll see some places to go. Gallery, Forums, Members, My Account, Links, and About.
2. When you want to post a photo click on My Account.
3. Once you are there, you will notice a series of small tabs. These tabs allow you to access aspects of your account, and in order they are Intro, Photos, Critiques, Travelogues, Themes, Discussions, Upload, Manage, Profiles.
4. Click on the Upload tab.
5. The first time you go to Upload do read over the information there- would your image be better suited to Trek Lens or Trek Nature? Trek Lens allows for a wider variety of photos. Trek Nature is as it says- nature, but no domestic animals.
6. Click on the Photo Guidelines- this will give you some general information about the Trek Earth critique system, how notes work and about the TE workshop process. I should have done this first off so I had a better idea about how TE works. :)
7. Go back a page to the upload page and hit the Browse button.
8. Find your resized file. I personally have created a small folder to keep my TE jpgs in one place, so when I hit Browse it opens to that folder everytime.
9. Choose your country- TE won't let you upload without this.
10. Hit upload, and your file is uploaded!

When you've uploaded the file it brings up a new section where you can enter in information about your file, you can decide if you want all the EXIF data displayed, and you can write some information about where your image was taken, some interesting facts about the location, your technique, etc. The more information you put up there the better- people here love the stories about your location and facts about it, so we can all learn about a new place and see it with new eyes.

One thing to note- you must give your image some sort of title. It is a requirement.

I hope you and other new TE users find this helpful. Happy uploading!

Kristi
Old 02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
TE Newbie

HI Kristi,
Thanks a bunch. Your detailed instructions are what I need. And yes it was much easier to understand that way!
I'll work on some photos to downsize and get some posted.

Thanks again....much appreciated.
Allie
Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Kristi,
May I suggest the following: One can also save the file with the "Save for Web" command and set the limit to 200kb. The compressing level is than adjust to this limit. The result is always a JPEG-file about 195 to 200kb with the best compression level (best quality).
Regards, Guy
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM
TE Newbie

Guy,

Good suggestion! I tried using the save for web feature of Photoshop and could never get it quite the way that I wanted it. I think that was because you can't set it to Bicubic Sharpener like you can if you resize it the other way- my saves came out soft. I'll check it out again- maybe I had something set wrong, who knows. :)

Thanks for your post!
-Kristi
Old 02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
TE Expert

For web purpose images, use "save for we" ... you get way better results.

I do like this:

1. Work the image at full size
2. resize to 1500px wider side
3. aply luko's sharpen method (you will find about this in the foruns)
4. resize again to 600 wider side (i personally use 600)
5. aply USM (50,3,0)
6. save for web (beetween 85 to 100% quality depending in the photo)

---
Maybe your final image was slightly diferent than you expect, if so please check the color space you're using in photoshop ... it must be the same in "save for web" (i.e. srgb).
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 PM
TE Newbie

Mario,

Thanks for your post. I saw that method listed elsewhere but that was a method that was popular with older versions of Photoshop. Adobe now recommends using Bicubic Sharpener with CS2 and simply resizing once to get the best results. I am not a fan of the save for web feature because it does not allow you as much control over the actual level of compression. If you set the image size largest dimension to 800, then save it as a jpeg and compress it at level 9 you're sure to get a very sharp image under 200kb everytime. For me that is much faster and sharper than the old method.

Thanks,
Kristi
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
TE Newbie

Huh? You have more control over file size and compression via save for web. You have more control over sharpening with unsharp mask than bicubic sharper also.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:12 PM
TE Newbie

Perhaps we just have different workflows here. I am not processing images to post to TE- I am taking images that I have already processed, including appropriate sharpening, and saving them under the TE requirements to post here. So given that I have already sharpened my images using unsharp mask, the last thing I want to do it size it down, sharpen it, size it down again, and sharpen it again especially when if I use bicubic sharpener my original level of sharpness is retained.

When you use Save for Web you have the option of choosing jpeg High, Medium, or Low. It then gives you the option of choosing a quality range between 0 and 100, and it starts you at a number given which quality level you chose. This is essentially the same thing as the window that comes up if you simply choose Save and select jpeg, but when you use the Save, jpeg method you have a range between 1 and 12. While it is true that Save for Web allows you more finely select a quality % level, for me it is faster to use the Save dialog box than the Save as Web feature, because I can more quickly select a level of compression that I know will be under the 200kb limit.

Hopefully no one is trying to use bicubic sharpener to sharpen their images- the purpose of bicubic sharpener is to get rid of the softness that is introduced when resizing.

One of the things I like about Photoshop is the ability to do things many different ways. :) Thanks for your post!
-Kristi