Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-07-2006, 12:31 PM
TE Expert

Default How do you select and qualify a shot to post here on TE ?

Personally I use a very simple way to sort out or to select shots ....

- they have to radiate some kind of story even in landscapes ....
- I imagine them wall-sized in my home by a first edition
- then I leave them ....
- if seeing them after some time again having still that same impact on me, nothing disturbing then I check if it needs a better edition always imaging them wall-sized .... if it still doesn't bore but inspires me for the story, it qualifies itself as a post.

How do you handle them, where are your priorities, the special or nostalgique technique, the light, the story, the quality, colors or the balanced harmony ..... ?

Enjoy this self-exploration ..... :))
Old 08-07-2006, 01:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Personally I hope that my image, along with an explanatory note, will help teach someone about the area the image was taken in.

At the same time I want to improve my photography so have no qualms about posting images that are far from perfect (i've yet to take a perfect photo!).

I won't improve by posting my best ever photos and have people saying "great work, well done" - although that is a nice ego-boost when learning. So I guess I post images (not many so far) that i like but think could be better - and I'll include a note to say why the scene interest me. I think I need to feel some sort of emotion from an image before I'll post it.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: How do you select and qualify...

I post shots that I like, if I'm happy with an image then I'll consider it for uploading. Sometimes I have to play aroudn with them in post processing but if I'm not happy with it myself it doesn't go up. After that, if others like it then that's great.

I've learned not to worry about points/smilies etc. & to listen to the comments & ideas of others.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: How do you select and qualify a shot to post here on TE.

I guess my main deciding factor when deciding whether to post or not, is the visual balance and tension in the photo more than the story.
Of course I want a good story too, it must be in there some way, but for me it is honestly the visual impact and complications that are the base line for choosing what to publish.
My visual ideas are probably stronger than my "stories", I try to follow some vague theme that interest me, things almost visible at the edge of vision as one walks down the street, fleeting moments, or perhaps an unappreciated detail in the world just around us.
I guess that I basically want something unexpected to appear in my photos, something that I didn't plan in advance when I went out with the camera (I mostly do unplanned and unorganized rambles with my camera).
So I have my aesthetic values (dynamic balance, concentration etc.) to guide me combined with a kind of hunters instinct (catching unusual species, trophy), but there is probably a lack human interest in my portfolio, I have no photo where I interacted with the person shown in that photo, it's all candid or non-human. That is probably something I should work on, I hope I will achieve it one fine day. End of self-exploration (for today).
Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: How do you select a shot to post here on TE ?

I dont have the option of waiting several weeks or months. All of my shots are pretty much fresh, shot within a few days or a week of posting. Recently though Ive had a really productive time shooting because I have the time due to being on vacation. But usually, I will shoot 4 or 5 photos I like on a weekend and then post them over the week. Then Ill go out again on the weekend and shoot for the next week of posting. I like that because it puts pressure on me to shoot an also posting fresh work is mor ebeneficialo to my learning than posting stuff from months ago. I dont even like much of what I shot a few months ago so I wouldnt post any of it anyway.

As far as what compels me to post a photo, it just has to have something about it that moves me. If it doesnt I dont post it.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: How do you select and qualify a shot to post here on TE

I do not have a long thinking time to put a photo in TE. If I like the photo or if I think it presents an aspect of the life in the country I am, I upload the photo on TE. You can easily tell that I sould be better to wait and post less photos...

Claudio
Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
TE Expert

Refreshing post Henk,
Well, i really never though about it, i think i post photos that for any reason i like.

Some of them have a story beneath them, others no particular story...
Some of them are special to me, others not really...

I guess that i don't pick the photos i post, photos pick me :))))
Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Posting on TE & TL

I post shots I like in the hope that others will enjoy them as well and I like to show my home city / area hopefully in a positive light.

I am new to photography so I look forward to comments both positive & negative so I can improve.

A bit dull maybe but honest.

Jim