Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Shutter speed

I need a slower shutter speed with high f/number

With your camera, I would say, buy yourself a tripod.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:21 AM
TE Senior Member

According to the above, your camera has a 'Manual' mode, so you should be able to adjust the shutter speed to whatever you like. This is usually indicated on the turn-dial as a 'M'.

Your manual would be the best source of information on how to do it, rather than a forum who have most likely never seen your camera before.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:36 AM
TE Expert

you should be able to adjust the shutter speed to whatever you like

No. He can adjust the shutter speed only within the limits of the aperture , allowing him to have the proper exposure. Unless he wants to achieve a particular effect (under/over exposed photograph), or he knows how to compensate his exposure values with +/- f stops, which requires some experience

Some theoretical photographic knowledge is the same no matter what camera you're using.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
TE Senior Member

Well I thought that would have been obvious to 'goodwill', but yes the above does also apply to setting your shutter speed manually.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:09 AM
TE Expert

yes but he doesnt have a 20mm lens he has a lens thats set, so theres nothing he can do. All he can do is get a tripod or adjust iso.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:01 PM
TE Newbie

Theres no point just buying a tripod if the light is too strong to be taken at a low shutter speed! the tripod will just give you a sharp extremely overexposed image which is a waste of everybodys time. It sounds like you camera has a manual mode which is what you need to be able to set the slowest speed, which in your case is one second. Your next problem is dealing with the light. Im affraid long shutter speeds wont be possible in tha daytime without a set of ND filters, which im not sure you will be able to attach to your lens without some kind of adapter. You cant adjust the aperture on your lens to cut any light and the lowest ISO setting will be around 200 as with most compacts. To do long exposure shots, you will have to wait until the light is dull enough to enable the extended exposure, this means at dusk when the light is fading or on a very overcast day. I always struggled with trying long exposures with a compact camera, they just arnt designed to be used that way, your only hope is to wait for the light to be dark enough or invest in some ND filters if you can, but make sure you use the tripod when you do!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
TE Junior Member

So the answer to my request is -use a tripod.
Is it the final answer?

Regards

Rajeev
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Again,
I want a slow shutter speed with high f/+ numbers. Is my camera worth? If I can't use filters what shall I do?
Suggestions please.
Rajeev
Old 06-20-2006, 06:48 PM
TE Newbie

According to the specs of Powershot A420 at dpreview.com the aperture range is F2.8 - F5.1 so you don't have many options. If you want high f numbers you want sharpness. To take sharp landscape pics you need a higher f number than the above range, even if you use a tripod or a slower shutter speed. Filters won't help you. Maybe you need a different kind of camera then?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:59 PM
TE Expert

I wouldn't like to sound impolite or anything like it, but are you in possession of all your means?