Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-14-2006, 04:05 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Help! Nikon's Autofocus

Hi all! I have bought my Nikon D50 for over a month now...but I'm not so sure how and when to use particular Auto-focus functions.

Question1:
I can set the Autofocus to be AF-C, Af-A, and AF-S. What do they mean and when to use them? Currently I don't see much difference made to a shot using any of these settings.

Question2:
There's also three choices of AF-Area Mode: Single Area, Dynamic Area and Closest subject.
I understand that by choosing Cloest subject, it automatically focuses onto the nearest object.

But what's the difference between Single Area and Dynamic Area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
CheukHin
Old 05-15-2006, 08:55 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Help! Nikon's Autofocus

AF - C is a continuous autofocus which will continue trying to focus as a subjest is moving and adjust accordingly. Af - A is automatic, the camera chooses which is best between the other two. AF - S is the single area, this is usually the centre of the frame but can be moved to the four corners on in your viewfinder by pressing the direction pad, single area will keep the exact same focus after you have focused on your subject until you refocus by letting go of the shutter release and starting again. I usually use AF-S so the focus is fixed, i would recomment AF-C for sports action so that you can follow a player keeping them in focus as they move until they are in the right place for your shot.

Single area is as above, you can move the area you want to focus on by uning the directional keypad.
Dynamic area basically tries to get everything in the frame in focus, useful for landscapes. This uses all areas for focusing and chooese the best as the camera thinks best!

Enjoy the D50, i think mine is great, a really great camera to learn with!

Nick
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks a lot! I bear that in mind :)

Cheers,
CheukHin
Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 AM
TE Newbie

I was once told by a pro that if you are shooting something moving it is best too select AF-C and then the dynamic focus. This way it will focus lock on the object moving and follow it, if I'm shooting normal I do manual focus point aith AF-S ... Hope this helps.