Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-22-2005, 09:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Yes, the reality the ideal

Sophie, I agree with you.

When I joined TE I was looking for examples to follow. I wanted to receive sincere critiques and had really few. I remember Alex Felipe, he was one of few persons who used to write about disadvantages of my photos and helped me a lot.

So I would like to propagate his attitude.

Piotr
Old 10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Please consider this as suggestion

Hi Didi

Thank you for your response. I have the same problem, I cannot spend much time on TE.

I wanted to show some different directions in photography that we can follow. These are only my observations and suggestions.

With the best greetings

Piotr
Old 10-22-2005, 10:08 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: TE - in what direction are you going?

Hi Piotr,

You have a very altruist attitude, which is very nice and many of us appreciate you raise the case. There might be tons of TE members who deserve more attention.

Many answered to your questions and are faily right.

I just wonder if Khadimov wishes to be noticed by the TE community, he may just want to shared his photo and may not want to learn from other. I'm speculating here, I don't know him, his objectives and expectations. The best person is Khadimov himself, therefoe if here reads this thread he may reply.

As you something I run into some great shot gallery for which I estimate (my opinion) require more attention, I make it clear in my comments. This my way to do it. In addition to this, sometime I disable the display of points and photograhers name for this photo.
This way I'm not influenced by these factors but sometimes you can easily identifed the authors as the photo have a very strong signature ;o)

As previously, mentioned some members are quickly attracted by the
photo becaus of MANY reasons: we are coming from different countries, have different culture and way to see life and the world.

Thanks, Al.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:16 PM
TE Expert

Another weekend at TE.

Again.. I am so grateful that TE is not about all truth of the world. Just a place making minor contributions of the world around us in a photo. Its a good thing that this is not the main information channel of the world for the most of us. Just a place to share some photos.

And.. there is this thing "A good photo" .. interesting it is..

The good photo I mean. Another discussion here is: Ohh.. I am so bored sticking my camera in faces of poor people, people who have nothing .. How can I ever ... create something different... Oh, dear me, pls. help me friends before I die of boredom..

ahh..

And the circle thing: Leave that for D. Brown. It's just fiction you know.. As if your friend have a message with his not so interesting photos if this event, understand that some of us have studied in details in other forums than TE this event and maybe expect something better than we see here, no reason to get confused over some mediocre photos displayes now and then at TE - and again let the 'circles' have their weekend rest... ;-)
Old 10-23-2005, 01:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: I understand, but not fully agree...

Hi Piotr,

This subject of points and all, is one that has been done again and again in this forum, and I dont want to go on with things that have been said to many times here in my opinion. Like many members, I actually am tired of threads that are about this. I totally agree with Sophie about the fact that a high rated image has not a lot to do with the quality of the image.

That being said, I think that the point you raised is a bit different and I dont agree with certain parts of it. You seem to think that having "circle of favour" - another word for it is "Friends" - here is bad thing and that we should not act like this if we want to be true or show some kind of photographic integrity! You categorize members into 2 groups, and I dont think that fair or realistic. Because I tend to visit the work of the members that visit my work, certainly does not have anything to do with the fact that I really dont want to learn. In fact its quite the opposite. I have learned more in two year here about photography then I have the in the 10 years before that. And I dont even want to mention how much I learned about the world. I now have friends in Israel, France, Italy, USA, and Iran just to mention a few. Tell how this is what way this is a bad thing. If we would only look at work and only give critics without developing the relationships, we could not be called a community.

Anyway, I appreciate what you are doing here and I enjoy this conversation. I know what you mean I just dont see it the way you do. Thats also a great part of this community, we all have different points of view.

I hope you have a nice Sunday.

Yours,

Paul
Old 10-23-2005, 02:32 AM
TE Expert

Default Learning photography

But how will you learn photography from someone who doesnt respond to you? If I go to clas and the prof just stands there, Im not going to learn much. People who dont participte by writing critiques teach us nothing. And I dont want to waste my time reaching out to them.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:42 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: I understand, but not fully agree...

But Piotr, this is not about tit for tat. Im not saying that I only give points to people who give ME points. Ill critique people who are involved in the community in general. Even people who have not given me any points. I feel that my critique isnt falling on deaf ears. Part of critiquing is socializing, reaching out and touching that member in an intellectual way, engaging them in an intellectual exchange. When a member doesnt bother to write a single critique, there is something wrong. I wrote more critiques YESTERDAY AFTERNOON than he did his entire time on TE. Im sorry, but thats just pathetic.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:48 AM
TE Expert

bonjour Piotr
c'est vraiment trs sympa toi d'attirer notre attention sur un membre de TE dont le travail pourrait nous intresser et qui nous aurait chapp. Je suis all voir son album sur tes conseils et je ne le regrette pas. Je suis all voir galement son intro qui est trs peu dtaille mais c'est sans doute li des questions d'ordre plus ou moins "politique" j'imagine, enfin je ne sais pas, j'imagine a. Je connais pas le Pakistan.
Je note aussi que Khadim a peu d'activits d'changes avec les autres ce qui ne facilite pas la reconnaissance avec d'autres membres de TE. Peut-tre qu'il ne peut se connecter facilement aussi ?
Pour ce qui me concerne, bien que ses photos soient intressantes, comme d'autres de ces rgions, j'y suis moins sensible sans doute, pour les commenter ; pourtant j'ai d les voir dans la galerie car j'y vais en premier et je suis curieux de nature.
C'est aussi pas facile de voir tout sur TE tant les posts sont nombreux et permanents.
c'tait une bonne ide d'en parler.
amitis
Pierrot
Old 10-23-2005, 08:09 AM
TE Newbie

"I would like to encourage you to break at least from time to time the circles of favour and pay more attention to those whose photos are not very good technically, but contain the message" wrote Piotr and I agree completely with him. Is the reason why I leave TE for concetrating in TL where I find more humanity and not only technics. Once I read more than 250 visits for one of my shots without any critics, in that moment I moved. Last time I did an other try ...with the same results.
Jos A.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:23 PM
TE Expert

Ok, Id like to understand something. I see you are focused on getting critiques. Since 2004 May you have given 127 critiques. Now, if you find getting critiques important why dont you find giving critiques important?