Photographer's Note

The first mention of a church in Barbarano Romano dates to 1072. The church was rebuilt in 1292 at the behest of the archpriest Nicol di Bevagna; the consecration was on November 23, 1337. The building was then restored in 1537. During the seventeenth century the interior underwent renovation and embellishment, and in 1618, the baptismal font was built. In 1635 a painting depicting the Madonna and Child was added, in 1638 the altar of San Domenico was built and in 1672 the floor was redone. In 1749 construction began on the current parish church, but in 1752, before it could be completed, the roof collapsed. Then the architect Michele Lucatelli from Rome was then commissioned to rebuild it, and he subsequently made multiple changes to the original project as well. The church was finally consecrated on 11 May 1834 by the bishop of Viterbo and Tuscania Gaspare Bernardo Pianetti. The building underwent restoration work again in 1861. despite best efforts, it seems history repeats itself: on 6 May 1978, the roof collapsed a second time; the repair work was so quickly performed, however, that the church was reopened as early as June 2 the same year. Lesson to be learned here: if you visit, watch your heads!

Barbarano Romano is a municipality in the Province of Viterbo in Lazio, located about 30 miles northwest of Rome and about 15 miles south of Viterbo. It hosts a population of about 950 inhabitants, comprising about 37.4 sq. kilometers at an altitude of about 1,000 feet. It's an incredibly picturesque medieval town built on a triangular plateau situated at the top of a sheer cliff comprised of volcanic rock. It's extremely well-fortified in a very strategic location, as it is also protected by deep gorges created by the Biedano river on two sides. There were settlements here as early as the Bronze Age, and in the Etruscan period (7th-4th c. BC) villages began to concentrate around the Colle di San Giuliano. Its main features, aside from the lovely streets and period buildings, are the Roman gate inside the 15th century tower which provides access to the interior. The oldest part of the village was once part of its castle. There is also a Palazzo Comunale, formerly the Palazzo dei Priori, and the lovely 12th-century Chiesa del Crocifisso, which features a 15th-century wooden crucifix. The town is also situated in the middle of a protected park, the Parco Regionale Martuanum, also the location of several Etruscan necropoleis.

pajaran has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Terez Anon (terez93) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 89 W: 78 N: 1005] (1819)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2014-02-00
  • Categories: , ,
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2019-12-05 16:56
Viewed: 150
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Terez Anon (terez93) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 89 W: 78 N: 1005] (1819)
View More Pictures