Photographer's Note

The name Sdermalm (suthraemalm) is first mentioned in 1288 in a letter from Bishop Anund of Strngns. Until the early 17th century Sdermalm was mainly a rural, agricultural area. Its first urban areas were planned and built in the mid 17th century, comprising a mixture of working class housing, such as the little red cottages of which a few can still be seen in northeastern Sdermalm, and the summer houses and pavilions of wealthier families, such as Emanuel Swedenborg's pavilion, which is now in the outdoor museum Skansen. During this time, it was also the location of perhaps the first theatre in Scandinavia, Bjrngrdsteatern. Sdermalm is often poetically named Sders hjder, which reflects its topography of sheer cliffs and rocky hills. Indeed, the hills of Sdermalm provide remarkable views of Stockholm's skyline.

In the 18th century, the working-class cottages that clung to Mariaberget, the steep cliffs facing Riddarfjrden, were replaced by the large buildings that are still present today. It was not until the beginning of the 20th century that urbanisation grasped the entire width of Sdermalm, and even today parts of Sdermalm have a rural feeling to them, as for instance the landscape of tiny allotments that climb the slopes of Eriksdal.

Also, rather than being known as a slum, Sdermalm is now known as home of bohemian, alternative culture and a broad range of cultural amenities. Meanwhile, the growing demand of housing, as well as an increasing gentrification of Stockholm's central parts, makes apartments in Sdermalm more and more difficult or expensive to come by. Thus what was once a working-class district is now somewhat a district of the privileged.

Photo Information
Viewed: 593
Points: 40
  • None
Additional Photos by Daniel Draghici (dkmurphys) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 5699 W: 83 N: 11327] (76173)
View More Pictures