Photographer's Note

You can see here a larger,sharper and more detailed version of the photo.

On the backdrop of the photo you can see the side of the Mosque and on the right a section of the Roman Agora.

Tzisdarakis Mosque

Tzisdarakis Mosque (Greek: Τζαμί Τζισδαράκη) is an Ottoman mosque, built in 1759, in Monastiraki Square, central Athens, Greece. It is now functioning as an annex of the Museum of Greek Folk Art.

History

The mosque was built in 1759 by the Ottoman governor (voevoda) of Athens, Mustapha Agha Tzisdarakis. According to tradition, Tzisdarakis used one of the pillars of the Temple of Olympian Zeus to make lime for the building, although it is more likely that he used one of the columns of the nearby Hadrian's Library. This act led to his dismissal as the Turks considered it a sacrilege which would cause vengeful spirits to be loosened upon the city, a superstition confirmed when there was an outbreak of the plague later in the year.

The mosque was also known as the "Mosque of the Lower Fountain" (Τζαμί του Κάτω Σιντριβανιού) or "Mosque of the Lower Market" (Τζαμί του Κάτω Παζαριού) from its proximity to the Ancient Agora of Athens.During the Greek War of Independence, the building was used as an assembly hall for the local town elders. After Greek independence, it was used in various ways: thus it was the site of a ball in honour of King Otto of Greece in March 1834, and was also employed as a barracks, a prison and a storehouse.

In 1915 it was partly rebuilt under the supervision of architect Anastasios Orlandos, and was used to house the Museum of Greek Handwork from 1918 (in 1923 renamed to National Museum of Decorative Arts) until 1973.
In 1966, it was provisionally refurbished to provide a place of prayer during the stay of the deposed King of Saudi Arabia, Saud, in the city.

In 1973 the main functions of the Museum of Greek Folk Art moved to 17 Kydathinaion Str., with the mosque remaining as an annex to it. The V. Kyriazopoulos pottery collection of ceramics remains in the mosque to this day. In 1981 the building was damaged by an earthquake and was re-opened to the public in 1991.

Copyright - This photograph is an intellectual property of its author,and is strictly forbidden, the reproduction,modification, or exploitation for any way,thus is protected by the Law. The use or reproduction by any way without previous written authorization of the photographer is strictly prohibited.For more please contact: danosdanos@gmail.com

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Danos kounenis (danos) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13701 W: 295 N: 27478] (110395)
  • Genre:
  • Medium:
  • Date Taken: 2014-12-14
  • Categories:
  • Camera: Panasonic ZS3
  • Exposure: f/5.6, 1/1000
  • :
  • Date Submitted: 2014-12-22 0:23
Viewed: 2149
Points: 82
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Danos kounenis (danos) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13701 W: 295 N: 27478] (110395)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH