Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great willperrett 2018-02-13 13:57

Hello Jimmy

Another cracking black and white, and I'm interested to read in your notes that this is a true darkroom-bred film shot, developed (and printed I assume) by your good self! I used to teach darkroom techniques for many years, and Photoshop too, come to that, and it's great to see a good example like this. Flawless exposure, although I may have burnt the sky in a bit more. Of course it can be done digitally as well: see my Workshop!

Regards

Will

Old 02-14-2018, 04:27 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To willperrett: Hello

I tried to push the reds in photoshop as well as dodge and burn. I also use Affinity photo to no avail. I needed to shoot in the morning or evening to get better saturation in the sky. Otherwise you get really bad gradient separation. But hey....I still like the result. My time in the darkroom was mainly for class. I do use photoshop to bring out the best in my black and images. To me it is an art all to it's own....the digital darkroom that is. Dodge and burn baby Thanks for the workshop.

Cheers
Jimmy
Old 02-14-2018, 07:24 AM
TE Senior Member

If you've got a problem with gradient separation, have you tried shooting RAW, and then opening the "digital negative" as a 16-bit file?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 AM
TE Junior Member

I would if I had shot this in Raw. It was a scan from an old negative. Kind of hard to adjust a one dimensional image.......it has it's limits. but good info for the future.