Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2011-01-12 13:00

Hello Finlay,

Malta and Gozo are places which I should love to visit and this picture helps to convince me that I must do that sometime soon!

Lovely warm colours of the cliffs with their fortifications on top and the warm light of the sinking sun on the side of the ship contrast very well with the inky dark blue of the sea. A fine sky too, with fine lighting of the tops of the clouds by the low sun. Did you use a polariser for this one?

Nice and sharp and clear too.

Which is the best place to stay - Malta itself or Gozo? And which offers the best photographic opportunities?

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
TE Newbie

Default To tyro: Malta & Gozo

John

Thanks for your kind comments on this shot.

We visited Malta for the first time in November last year and were very impressed. November is supposedly one of Malta's wetter months but we were fortunate with no rain at all during our week's stay, and only one overcast day. Temperatures ranged from about 18 to 24 degrees C - very pleasant and comfortable enough to travel around. We stayed in Malta with a day trip over to Gozo. That worked well for us. Malta was by far the bigger and busier island with plenty of places that held our interest e.g. Valletta the capital, Mdina (the ancient capital), Marsaxlokk at the south of the island with an outdoor fish market on Sunday mornings, and Mosta with its historic dome. Gozo was much smaller, and for us we were able to see most of what we wanted in our day trip - the citadel in Victoria which offered great views over a large part of Gozo and a scenic walk out towards the cliffs on the south of the island and then back towards the ferry.

There were plenty of opportunities to get the camera out. All the towns are full of narrow streets, squares, old buildings, magnificent churches, forts and battlements overlooking the ports and surrounding countryside, little boats bobbing about in the bays ... and oh yes not forgetting the rickety buses that somehow manage to make their way slowly up the steep hills and through the narrow streets.

The ferry trip to and from Gozo was another memorable experience. We were fortunate to be returning just as the sun was starting to set, and throughout the crossing the deck was crowded with people trying to get a snap or two.

In terms of using a filter for this shot its just a simple UV one that I keep fitted primarily to protect the lens.

Regards
Finlay